History

In 1914 Imperial Engineering Motor Works was founded by father and son Daniel Harold Dwight and Albert Daniel Dwight. The two had gained their engineering skills working for the Daimler Company and set up a workshop where they serviced taxi cabs in an old coach house in Ingleby Road, Holloway. The company employed six people and all the machinery was gas driven.
Following the Depression of the 1930's Imperial had to diversify their business due to the demise of their principal account the Gilford Motor Company. In 1937 Albert William Daniel Dwight, the grandson of Daniel, joined the company, which had by then earned a reputation for reliable reconditioning of commercial vehicle components.

By 1952 Albert William Daniel Dwight was the sole proprietor and had moved the business
to larger premises in Hornsey Road,
Holloway, where it continued to
concentrate on reconditioning
and repairs.

In 1964 Imperial Engineering
became a Limited Company
incorporated as
A.W.D Dwight & Sons
(Engineers) Ltd
.
The family business
continued to grow and
in 1971 the Company
relocated to its current factory
in Cheshunt. This factory already
had its own engineering pedigree,
being the original site of Colin
Chapman's Lotus car company,
from where the Lotus Cortina was developed.

It was in 1971 that the great grandson of the founder
Geoffrey Dwight joined the Company, followed five years later, in 1976, by his brother Stephen.

In their roles as Engineering and Financial Director respectively they consolidated and diversified the business.

In 1980
Ken Baggott joined the Company
and, as Sales Director, brought further professionalism to our business. By the early 1990's the Company was primarily servicing the bus industry where following deregulation, these companies had sought outside engineering support for their bus fleets.





Our engineering workshop was largely
dedicated to the repair and remanufacture of components for the famous Routemaster bus, which we supported for over 20 years right up until its withdrawal in 2006.

The M25 provided the Company with excellent access to both London and the motorway networks, which facilitated excellent access to the extensive range of bus companies being
serviced by Imperial's
fleet of vehicles.

In the early 1990's the
Company recognised
the need for fundamental
change and chose
to concentrate its
business on the
supply of new
OE products instead
of remanufactured
components.

In 1994 Imperial was appointed
an Authorised Distributor
for
Knorr Bremse, soon
followed by similar appointments with
Wabco Automotive, Dana Spicer and more recently Haldex. These Original Equipment Manufacturers are synonymous with the highest standards that meet the criteria set by the bus industry where quality and safety are paramount.

A fifth generation of the Dwight family, in James and John Dwight, are now working for the company, and are carrying forward the Imperial ethos, developing the professionalism, expertise and product quality that is demanded by the modern bus industry from its suppliers.

The Company has come a long way in its 90+ years history but knows only too
well that it has to continue evolving.
The belief that nobody is more
important than our customers remains
our philosophy for the future.

Back to top
Stacks Image 33